Visit first, post comments, and upload content on ...
our CFA Facebook page, and
then, check out ...
- You may visit the homepage for the village of Long Melford
- If you are expecting to travel in Suffolk or East Anglia, you might want to check out the Suffolk County Council's Homepage.
- Lander's Bookshop on Hall Street in Long Melford is a rich source of books and maps on the area.
- Visit the homepage for St. Peter's Parish. Here, our ancestors attended church and the first President of the United States, George Washington, married Martha (Dandridge) Custis.
The following links have some genealogical information relating to the Clopton Family. For some this is only one individual who provides a connection to another family while a few have extensive Clopton genealogy or information on relatives.
- A digitized copy of "The ancestry of William Clopton of York County, Virginia: with records of some of his descendants, to which are added royal lines; Magna Carta sureties; charters; wills; deed, etc. Also notes on certain English families, viz: Acworth, Basset, Belhous, Calthorpe, Chastelyn, D'Arcy, Despenser, Drury, Echyngham, Howard, Jenny, Jolye, Knevet, Lunesford, Maydstone, Playters, Stapleton, Sutcliffe, Waldegrave, Wentworth" compiled by Lucy Lane Erwin.
- The Clopton Family Genealogical Society is separate from the Clopton Family Association but provides a great depth of information on our family including archives and well-written chronicles. For instance, you'll want to read "Self-Guided Tour of Dead Cloptons" written by Suellen Clopton Blanton.
- Arthur Berry's research that extends from Charlamagne through the Cloptons and into his Berry line is available online.
- If you are interested in Texans, and who wouldn't be, you might visit the the Daughter's of the Republic of Texas and Early Texas Families. William Clopton5 was involved in events of the period leading up to Texas independence and the Republic, including the Mier Expedition, and his brother Benjamin5 Michaux Clopton's blacksmith shop in Bastrop County supported the Army of the Republic of Texas.
- A genealogy search engine and a large number of GEDCOM files are available for download at Ancestry.com. They also offer a tutorial on Documentation for New Genalogists, have a Clopton Family History & Genealogy Message Board, and skim the surface of where the Clopton family is from.
- The Wilkinsons Family Site contains information on a related family linked to the Clopton lineage through the marriage of William Clopton, Jr. [circa 1685-before 1733] and Joyce Wilkinson.
- Hamilton Ziegeler's ancestors are linked through the marriage of Benjamin Clopton and Agnes Morgan in June 1755 in Goochland County, Virginia.
- Every family needs a poet, and we have one, if somewhat indirectly, in Sidney Clopton Lanier. And finally, Irvin Matus's Shakespeare, IN FACT, Reviewed by Thomas A. Pendleton, The Shakespeare Newsletter, Summer 1994 mentions the Clopton's connection to Shakespeare and several of his plays.
- See a Family Fact Sheet on Sir William de Clopton, Knt. on John & Susan Howell's Family Tree.
- William Clopton (c. 1655-bef 1732) on WikiTree.
- Duke University's "Guide to the Clopton Family Papers, 1629-1915" (bulk 1775-1897) is not available online, but if you will be in the Raleigh, NC area, you can request an appointment to view the papers.
- Because there is evidence our ancestors signed the Magna Carta, be sure to examine "The Magna Carta in the Houston Museum of Natural Science" on Newscast Media. It gives interesting information of life in Medieval Times. In addition, the History of Law website provides a thorough history of the Magna Carta and an explanation of the Magna Carta's importance in human history.
- On WikiTree you will find the Family Lines from William Clopton to some of his Magna Carta Surety Baron Ancestors. It is managed by Marshall Moss.